Busy parents and carers were in for a treat when Sandwell College’s beauty therapy team hosted a Pamper Event for Autism West Midlands.
Students from the college’s Bliss Hair & Beauty Salon provided a range of much-needed treatments designed to give the round-the-clock carers some vital relaxation and quality time.
Feedback from the event was overwhelmingly positive:
• Excellent -Fab to be pampered. I received a back massage and feeling very relaxed now.
• Excellent – Absolutely wonderful. Lovely conversation and Angel took notice of the temperature I wanted.
• Excellent – Fantastic and Shanique was a pleasure. She went through every step. Good to have a conversation too.
• Excellent – Really relaxing, lovely atmosphere. Also nice to catch up with friends.
• Good – It was a good experience and nice to be pampered. Awesome!
• Excellent – Really fantastic opportunity. My massage was amazing and very relaxing!
• Good – Really enjoyed my facial. Tia was really nice and gentle.
• Excellent – Jaylee who did my facial was brilliant.
• Excellent – So nice to have some me time and feel very relaxed now.
Donna Baggott, Sandwell Family Outreach Worker for Autism West Midlands, said: “I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff and students at Bliss Beauty Salon for accommodating Autism West Midlands – Sandwell Parents and Carers and making the pamper event possible.
“The feedback has been amazing and now that parents and carers have visited the salon and enjoyed their experience, many will hopefully be returning independently. One of the dads has already re-booked his treatment!”
One of the group’s parents Lisa Smith had generously raised £60 to pay for everyone’s salon treatments by selling her unwanted items.
Lisa said: “I have received so much support from Autism West Midlands, who have helped me through some extremely difficult times, especially when my son was younger. This is my way of saying thank you for all the support I have received over the years.”
Sandwell College Hair & Beauty Curriculum Leader Claire Monk added: “The feedback from the carers has been absolutely amazing. I am so proud of how our learners conducted themselves and the professional attitude they have displayed.”
Following the success of this pamper event, Donna hopes to run another one at the college in the future.
To book a hair or beauty treatment at the Bliss Salon call 0121 667 5068.