SEE SOME OF OUR
Find out what Art Class of 2021 has to say about their course
If you could go back in time to when you left school, what friendly advice would you give your younger self before you started college? We asked our current Art students to come up with some tips to help our brand-new Art students settle in!
So what should our new students be looking forward to?
- Independence you did not get in high school
- Cool buildings
- Meeting new people with similar interests
- Supportive teachers
- Meeting awesome and helpful tutors
- New experiences and opportunities you should definitely take
- Taking part in a range of workshops and activities
- Learning new skills and techniques and letting your art style evolve
- Painting, cutting and drawing
- The more practical side of the course
- The freedom to let your creative juices flow!
What will new students enjoy the most about the Art course?
- The amount of new media and equipment
- The workshops and experimentational lessons
- Learning about different media and techniques
- The practical work and making 3D pieces
- Working in an art studio environment
- Exploring your creativity in sculpting and drawing
Things you wish you’d known before you started college
- Don’t worry about it too much
- Keep on track with your work
- There will be a lot of new opportunities
- Manage your time better
- Be on time and submit your work on time: arriving late is not good
- The teachers are super nice
- The food is not as bad as secondary school food
- There are a fair few assignments with deadlines so be organised
- Get your work done as soon as you get it
- You have multiple deadlines
- It will be stressful if you don’t do the work
- Don’t slack and put in all your effort
- Procrastination will be your biggest enemy
- Have a routine for everything
- Coursework takes a lot of time
- You can get materials here
- Your work is stored here
- You can do your research here
What have you found most useful during your time at college?
- Bus passes
- Times of courses
- Learning about myself
- My massive cardboard folder where I can carry pretty much anything!
- Learning the history behind your chosen passion - it definitely helps inspire
- The facilities at college
- The resources you can use
- The multiple techniques I have learnt to better my own art style
What tips do you have for our new students?
- Use your time wisely
- Try new media and always do your work
- Work hard and stay motivated
- Have fun creating - art doesn’t need to be perfect, even if you are a perfectionist!
- Be creative and express your ideas
- Do not be late
- Eat the canteen food and make sure to use the tokens to pay for the food instead of using your own money
- Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone
- Be on time, sleep early
- Look for new content to keep that creativity and imagination
- Do tasks as soon as they are set so you do not have to worry about them later
- Just come and enjoy your time
- Do what improves your work
- Do everything on time
- Try to finish stuff on time in lessons
- Have fun with the course and do the work as it comes in; don’t leave it until the last second
So, good luck to all our new students starting this September and we hope you benefit from these really useful tips!