Engineers are involved in creating, maintaining, testing and building different objects to suit their company needs. With the UK expanding its Engineering industry, now is the perfect time to start your journey and here at Sandwell College is where you will take your first steps towards your new career. You will be guided all the way by our highly trained tutors, who have all worked for many years in the field.
You'll need GCSE English and Maths at Grade 3/D.
You will carry out practical tasks and theoretical work in many aspects of engineering, including:
• Electronics - in this area you will learn how to safely carry out soldering activities to produce working electronic circuits as well as essential skills such as component identification.
• Mechanical - in this area you will learn how to safely carry out bench fitting activities such as marking out, drilling, cutting and filling accurately, before progressing on to operating lathes and milling machines to produce machined components.
Every learner at Sandwell College will undertake a personal Study Programme designed to develop them academically, practically and personally. Study Programmes contain 3 essential elements:
• Subject Course – Vocational or chosen Academic subject
• English and Maths – Every learner will work towards GCSE grade 4 in English and Maths or Functional Skills
• Personal and Social Development – this will include writing a CV, job applications and interview skills
You will have specific time in your timetable for each of the three elements above and you will be expected to attend all elements throughout the year.
Our study programmes are designed to help you meet your maximum potential and progress to the next level of study or into work.