The SEG Awards ABC Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling is concerned with the training of counsellors to a professional level of competency. Learners will further develop the knowledge, skills and self-development gained from their Level 3 experience. It is required that learners will be involved in placement with rigorous and qualified casework supervision. This should enable an interchange of experiences between the placement and the classroom work on a constant basis.
Applicants must have successfully completed a full L3 Counselling qualification either from NCFE, Skills and Education Group Awards or equivalent. The certificate must be seen at interview.
Sessions will be face to face on Mondays 9.30AM-5PM. Students will be expected to complete at least 3- 4 hours of self-directed study per week on top of class time. Once this course is completed, students will be qualified Counsellors and will be able to practice as such. The course includes a placement module and students must find their own counselling placement in agreement with the college. This module is externally assessed via a portfolio.
Modules covered over the two years are:
· Professional Organisational Issues in Counselling
· Counselling in a Diverse Society
· Counselling Theory
· Advanced Counselling Skills
· Self-awareness for Counsellors
· Research Methodologies in Counselling
· Counselling Placement
· Students will need to become student members of the BACP – British Association of Counselling
· Students will need to pay for Counselling supervision whilst on placement.
· Students will also be encouraged to undertake their own personal therapy with an expectation
that at least 20 hours will be completed across the two-year duration of the course
£2225. Please note, students can apply for an advanced learner loan to cover the costs of the course
Students will be assessed via the following methods:
· Case Studies
· Book/ Film Reviews
· Placement Portfolio
· Reflective Journal
Students can choose to specialise in particular areas of Counselling such as CBT and Psychotherapy by either completing additional MSc or other accredited courses.
Students completing this course can begin working as a Counsellor.