There are no formal qualifications needed to apply for this course, but you will have to study Maths and English if you do not have a Grade C/4 at GCSE. You will need to supply steel-capped footwear and a boiler suit.
This is a one-year full-time course which is made up of assignments and observed practical tasks. Units include:
• Maintaining animal health and welfare
• Undertaking practical animal feeding
• Maintaining animal accommodation
• An introduction to caring for farm livestock.
Over the year, you will gain practical experience through full days of carrying out activities at the following:
• Sandwell Valley Park Farm/Forge Mill Farm
• Dog and cat boarding/rescue centres
• Proteus Reptile Trust
• Horse care and riding experience
Visits will be arranged to places such as Chester Zoo, Birmingham Dogs’ Home, Crufts, Guide Dogs for the Blind, The Natural History Museum, and Drayton Manor Park and Zoo.
All activities are funded by the college and transport is provided to all experiences, apart from Sandwell Valley Park Farm and Forge Mill Farm which you will be expected to make your own way to and from.
Assessment is by assignment work and practical observation.
Successful students can progress on to our Animal Management Diploma.
Success Rates on courses for 16-18 year-olds nearly 7% better than national average*