We're extremely excited about our new Animal Care room! Our new animal care room will host bearded dragons, leopard geckos, corn snakes, royal pythons, white tree frogs, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters & much much more! So if you're interested in studying with us you'll get to use the brand new facilities!This course is suitable for school leavers who wish to pursue a career in the animal care industry. It will help you find employment or progress to a Level 3 course.
There are no formal qualifications needed to apply for this course. You will be expected to buy your own overalls and steel toe-capped boots for practical work.
This is a one-year full-time course which is made up of assignment work and practical observations. Units include:
• Maintain animal health and welfare (6 assignments and 2 practical assessments)
• Undertake practical animal feeding (2 assignments and 1 practical assessment)
• Maintain animal accommodation (1 assignment and 2 practical assessments)
• Undertake work related experience (4 assignments)
• Introduction to principles of animal behaviour and handling (1 assignment and 1 practical assessment)
• Introduction to animal breeds and grooming (4 assignments and 1 practical assessment)
• Introduction to caring for farm livestock (3 assignments and 3 practical assessments)
Each assignment can be achieved to a Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Over the year, you will gain practical experience through full days of carrying out practical activities at the following:
• Sandwell Valley Park Farm/Forge Mill Farm
• Proteus Reptile Trust
• Carr Children’s Centre
Visits to Chester Zoo, Birmingham Dogs’ Home, Crufts, Guide Dogs for the Blind, The Natural History Museum, and Dudley Zoo.
Assessment is by assignment work and practical observations.
You can progress on to higher level animal care qualifications like our Animal Management Diploma, or go into employment in the animal care industry.