This full-time diploma course is designed to prepare people to enter the building industry, and covers a whole range of skills from painting, plastering, plumbing to tiling, masonry repairs and roofing. This qualification is ideal if you are unable to undertake a full apprenticeship, or if your prior skills and knowledge do not require you to complete all components of an apprenticeship.
You will need to have a recognised Level 1 Certificate. You will also be asked to attend an initial interview and be assessed on your level of English and Maths.
You will gain knowledge of three core subject areas:
- Health, safety and welfare
- Information, quantities and communication
- Construction technology.
You will also learn key practical skills and knowledge in:
- Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms
- Developing customer relationships
- Carrying out masonry repairs
- Carrying out painting and decorating repairs
- Carrying out plastering repairs
- Carrying out plumbing repairs
- Carrying out wood repairs
- Carrying out tiling repairs
- Carrying out roofing repairs
We offer a residential week and various activity days, in addition to College-wide trips, sports and visits.
You will be tested on each unit by a qualified trainer, and set practical assignments. Online tests cover the core units. These are independent assessments of knowledge and understanding, and are graded.
Many learners have started their own successful businesses via the Prince’s Trust or have fast-tracked on to an NVQ apprenticeship with local employers. Successful completion of this course can lead to a Level 3 Diploma programme or an NVQ Level 3 qualification once you have gained employment experience. This qualification is accepted by the building industry as suitable entry to a job role.