This two-year course is for school leavers wishing to pursue a career in one of the Uniformed Public Services, such as the Police Service, Fire Service, Royal Navy, Royal Marines, British Army, Royal Air Force, Prison Service, or UK Border Agency.
You will need five GCSEs, including English at grade 4/C or above, or a full Level 2 qualification in Public Services.
This is an interesting and inspiring course, offering a mixture of theoretical and practical aspects of public service work and outdoor activities. Learners will cover a wide range of topics, including:
• Government Policies and the Public Services
• Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
• Understanding Discipline in the Public Services
• Teamwork and Leadership for the Public Services
• Crime and its Effects on Society
• Custodial Care
• Water-Based Outdoor Adventurous Activities in the Public Services
• Team Sports in the Public Services
Examples of guest speakers and activities include:
• Visit to Parliament
• Visit to Shrewsbury Prison
• A two-night residential in the first year
• A four-night residential in the second year
• Surfing, canoeing, and white-water rafting
• Mountain biking and caving
• Various fitness classes at local gyms (trampolining, boxing, spin)
You will go on at least one residential, where you will be assessed in practical and vocational settings. Throughout your course, you will work alongside a range of Public Service professionals who support teaching, learning and assessment.
On successful completion of this course you can go on to apply for university degrees, such as Policing, here at Sandwell College, or Criminology. Alternatively, you could apply to join the uniformed public services.
100% Pass Rate on 17 different A-Levels