Candidates must hold a minimum of Level 1 ESOL. You will take part in a group interview, where there will be an opportunity to ask questions after the course has been discussed. This is followed by a one to one interview. If the candidate meets the course requirements, places are given on the same day. Alternatively, any candidates that do not meet course requirements will be advised on other courses that are available.
Units on the course cover:
• Ensuring responsibility for actions to reduce risks to health and safety
• Preparing for hair services and maintaining work areas
• Shampooing, conditioning, blow drying and styling hair
• Assisting with facial skincare treatments and day make-up
• Assisting with salon reception duties
• Assisting with nail services
A minimum of 30 hours’ work experience is compulsory for all 16 to 18 year-olds as part of the main programme.
There are many opportunities to participate in trips to places such as Harry Potter World, Drayton Manor, and Blackpool NHF Hair and Beauty competitions.
Practical elements of the course will be assessed in our state-of-the-art salons on the fifth floor within the college. You will also be assessed on a service portfolio (coalition of learner’s work throughout the course) and by several exams.
After successfully completing this course, you may progress to the VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing or VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Beauty.
Success Rates on courses for 16-18 year-olds nearly 7% better than national average*