If you want to apply for a practical-based science degree at university, this is the pathway for you! Applied Science qualifications are designed to provide specialist, work-related programmes of study that cover the key knowledge and practical skills required in the science sector. They provide an excellent route to employment in the science and health sectors or within organisations that make use of science.
You would need to gain five GCSEs including grades C or above (grades 5 or above) in English, Maths and Science.
Applied Science should be studied alongside an A Level chosen from Biology, Chemistry, Maths or Psychology.
In the first year of the Applied Science Diploma, you will study:
• Fundamentals of science
• Working in the science industry
• Scientific practical techniques
• Perceptions of science
• Using mathematical tools in science
• Using statistics in science
• Chemical laboratory techniques.
In the second year, you will study:
• Scientific investigations
• Using science in the workplace
• Biochemistry and biochemical techniques
• Genetics and genetic engineering
• Practical chemical analysis
• Medical physics techniques.
Your diploma work will be assessed entirely by assignments and assessed practicals. Your A Level will be assessed by examination.
Students should be aiming to progress on to one of the many different types of degrees dealing with the applications of science and medicine.
100% Pass Rate on 17 different A-Levels